12/12/11

Katherine December 12, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Thanks for the great list! I’ve got a few things on the go at the moment (http://throughmylookingglass.me/what-im-reading/) but will need some new books soon so this will be very helpful :D

Marthe December 15, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Thanks for sharing your list! :)

Shawn December 12, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I just met you and I feel that I can trust your book suggestions … by the way, the e-book of Siddhartha is FREE on Amazon! I can’t wait to check that out. Added the rest to my very long wish list. Thanks!

Marthe December 13, 2011 at 7:33 am

Ohh sweet, I didn’t know that! Well, then there’s no excuse – everyone should read this little gorgeous book!

Hanna December 12, 2011 at 6:00 pm

I loved reading ‘Life of Pi’ and ‘The Secret History’, they were both so very good I finished them in a few evenings.

Hunting and Gathering (and some others as well) are going on my reading list for sure!

Marthe December 15, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I’m sure you’ll love Hunting and Gathering, seriously, it’s one of the warmest books I’ve read.

karen McRae December 12, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Always wonderful to have fresh book ideas! Thank you!
(Life of Pi is an amazing book, I agree :)

Marthe December 13, 2011 at 7:32 am

No, thank you!

bethany December 13, 2011 at 12:15 am

I just asked the same question on my blog today. :)
I’ve just begun “84, Charing Cross Road.” It’s the story of an American woman living in New York City and a British man living in London. She loves old books and he owns a small bookstore that specializes in out-of-print pieces. A friend tells her of his shop and the two begin corresponding about books that she needs to find. The book is simply letters sent back and forth over the next 20 years. I love the setting (begins in the late 40′s) and the contrast between cultures, as evidenced by their style of writing and connecting with each other. Such a beautiful premise for a story.

Marthe December 13, 2011 at 7:32 am

Sounds really interesting, I’ll check it out! I could need some more books on my list myself! :)

Allison December 13, 2011 at 4:23 am

I just finished reading When Chickenheads Come Home to Roost: My Life as a Hip-Hop Feminist” by Joan Morgan. Great accessible take on so many issues with a unique personal voice in publishing.

Marthe December 13, 2011 at 7:31 am

I’ll check this out, thank you!

Caroline December 15, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Love it… i’ll be leaving for a short x-mass holiday in france on the 24th, so i ordered a few of your recommended books… loved life of pi and the secret history, so i guess i love your recommendations… thanks so much, i’m really longing for a nice book! x

Marthe December 15, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Thank you, Caroline!

I hope you have a great time in France!

Krissy December 18, 2011 at 4:21 am

I’m adding the Patti Smith book to my To Read list immediately! I LOVE memoirs. They’re my absolute favourites. And I really want to read 1Q84. Even more so now that it comes so highly recommended. :D

katepurpletravel May 9, 2012 at 2:52 pm

A great selection!

Caroline November 10, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Im reading a book called Boundaries! Its a Christian book on how to say no and take control of you life and your identity. Its thoroughly rooted in scripture and the things I am learning from it are partly how i stumbled across your blog. I wanted to learn how to take better care of myself and your blog has been an answer to prayer. Thank you for inspiring and encouraging me with your posts and I can’t wait to read A Moveable Feast! I have a fascination with all things Parisian :)