Making dreams come true – a 2011 report

31/12/11

We’re approaching the end of 2011, and I thought I’d make a little summary of all the dreams I put into reality in 2011. Oh, how wonderful it feels to look back at all the awesome experiences I’ve had! Why don’t you use this as inspiration to put together your own list? Or better yet, to put your own amaxing dreams into reality in 2012? Looking back on 2011 – here’s what I did:

Lived 6 months in Kingston, United Kingdom

Living abroad has always been a dream of mine, and now I’ve actually done it. In 2011, I finished my one year of photography studies in Kingston Upon Thames. In case you wonder (or share the dream), living abroad was perfect and exciting. Even shopping for the most common groceries was fun and different! It’s a steep learning curve, and you don’t go a day without discovering something new. And just to make sure I don’t glorify it – I did experience loneliness and homesickness too. It was worth it.

Studied photography

In the midst of law studies, I had always dreamt of studying something creative. So (naturally, I would say), I packed up my things and decided to give myself one year. In 2011, I completed my year as an art student and I loved every minute of it. I can openly admit I don’t want to make a living as a photographer, but I really enjoyed the creative process and the buzz of going to galleries and call it “studying”.

Travelled the world

In 2011, I visited 9 countries – UK, Latvia, Denmark, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, India and Austria. Together with my boyfriend and my sister, I spent 2 months in the summer backpacking. Tokyo and India had been on my dream destination list for years and I finally made it there in 2011. In case you wonder how I managed to do it economically: I borrowed money from my mother, my sister, my boyfriend and I used all my credit cards. Crazy? YES. Irresponsible? YES. Worth it? YES!! I’ve now paid off all the debt and I’m an amazing experience richer. Do it at your own risk, but my advice is simple: DO IT.

Reached new traffic highs for The Freedom Experiment

I won’t try to hide the fact that I squeal with delight when I check google analytics to find that lots of people have visited my site. And I do a little dance every time someone comments to share their liking of my writing. Therefore, making the Freedom Experiment grow is a constant dream of mine. I want it to flourish, to shine. In 2011, I hit an all-time high: 11,829 unique visitors in ONE DAY. Dream come true for sure! Thank you so much!

… and all the small things:

In 2011, I went to a Melissa Horn concert, bought a MacBook Air, got linked to by a huge blog, a birthday wish from a personal hero, stayed two nights in a five star resort with private pool i Bali, survived the Tokyo metro, had my first internship in a top law firm (got offered a second one), travelled to Kitzbühel with McKinsey & Company, made wonderful new friends, visited my friends in Kingston this fall, celebrated Christmas in our own flat + + +

Did you make any dreams come true in 2011? Share in the comments!

Hanna December 31, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Your year must have been amazing! I think that looking back on the year makes you forget all the bad things that happened and appreciate the good stuff even more by remembering it.
To a great 2012!

Marthe January 7, 2012 at 1:18 pm

To be honest, it has been a really great year dream-wise, but it has also been one of my hardest years health-wise. Focus on the positives!

Sabrina December 31, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Marthe!
I loved this post- I think it’s fantastic to look back and how far we’ve all come! In 2011 I left Vermont to start my first year as a vet student in Scotland, spent a month on the beaches of Cape Cod, got to cuddle with my first niece, and BOTH of my brothers came home from Iraq. Life is SO good!

Marthe January 7, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Thank you Sabrina:) I hope you have a great time in Scotland! Your enthusiasm is contageous! :)

Jane December 31, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I dreamt of going back to the UK to study after leaving the country to read university back at home. And now I’m back here for my masters! A lot of up and downs this year but also tons of blessings and love, I drew up a Bucket List for year 2012 so I can tick one thing off everytime I complete a dream, I love the idea of that and it motivates me.

Happy New Year to you too! And wish you all the best in the year ahead!

Marthe January 7, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I love that you went back! UK is a great place to study too!

Courtney January 1, 2012 at 5:55 pm

I love the way you have balanced law studies with something creative! Your photography is beautiful! Looking forward to sharing 2012 with you in this online community! I had so many dreams come true in 2011…including teaching my first e-course (eek!) and I hope I can bring many more to fruition! Namaste

Marthe January 7, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Thank you so much! Right now I’m thinking to push my law career into something creative – like intellectual property.

I’m so happy to hear you’ve had lots of dreams come true – teaching sounds awesome! The best dreams are the ones that make you go eek! ;)

Jana January 2, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Aww, what a fabulous year for you! Be proud! You totally rock and will just build on the successes of 2011 making your deepest dreams come true this year. Lots of love, Jana x

Marthe January 7, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I am, thank you!

LB January 3, 2012 at 2:25 am

Congrats to a wonderful 2011! Here’s to an even better 2012! I stumbled upon your blog by chance and I must say I am in LOVE! I am a bit of a dreamer myself…

xo

Happy New Year!!

Marthe January 7, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Welcome! I’m happy that you like it here – this is a great place for dreamers!

Happy new year to you too!

Sara/Matchbox Kitchen January 3, 2012 at 7:33 am

Happy new year, Marthe! Congratulations on all your accomplishments in 2011. My biggest accomplishment was starting a baking company this year. Remember when you helped me with starting a stationery line? Although it never came to fruition (not yet at least!), it gave me the confidence to pursue what I love. Thank you for your advice and support!

Amelia January 3, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Your 2011 was incredible. I hope 2012 will be just as good for you!

Marthe January 7, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Thank you! Hope you have an awesome year too! :)

Amanda January 6, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Sounds like a wonderful year, Marthe!
Happy New Year and here’s to more blog community in 2012!

Marthe January 7, 2012 at 1:04 pm

It was! Happy new year to you too!