Digital housekeeping and a little travelnote

06/06/12

Hello gorgeous,
After spending some time offline (you might have noticed that I do that every now and then) – I’m back! Since I rarely write a personal update, I thought  you might like to know a little about all the huge shifts that are happening in my life at the moment. A lot of exciting things are happening at The Freedom Experiment too, so stay tuned for news. I promise I’ll be brief, and I’ll be back with regular inspiring, thoughtful and unique content very soon!

Right now, I’m in Sydney! For a norsewoman like me, that means I am on the other side of the world. Isn’t that amazing?

Just a regular street in Amsterdam

The past few months have been hard, healing and hectic

The Hectic part
I have been released from hospital, finished three law exams, worked 10 shifts at my old florist job, travelled to Berlin, moved out of my flat, attended a lot of therapy, read a ton of books, published an article in a student magazine, been published in this month’s issue of Sprout Magazine, been guest posting regularly on the English Muse, increased the sponsorships on The Freedom Experiment and I’ve made a ton of new connections and friends (I love you guys!). During the last week I have also been to Amsterdam and London before flying off to Sydney. I’m not kidding when I say that I live life in the fast lane.

The Hard part
I won’t paint everything bright, this spring has been hard on me. If you’ve ever been in a mental hospital (and I hope you haven’t) you know that there is nowhere to run. A lot of bad shit comes to the surface and you are forced to deal with it as it comes. Luckily, I have been able to do this with a lot of caring support. It hasn’t been easy, but it has been very helpful!

The Healing
I have learned so much about myself, the world and how I relate to other people. I feel very strongly that all the challenges I’m facing have a deeper meaning and that it aligns with my purpose in life. This way of looking at mental illness is very empowering and has helped me enormously in the past few months. I’m nowhere near fully healed, but I am moving in the right direction. Also, I have found healing in everything from writing, conversations and therapy – to music, painting, long walks and the online community.

From a random street in London

The next few months are going to be inspiring, illuminating and international

The Inspiring
• I’m going to the World Domination Summit in Portland in July
• I have a lot of time off and a huge list of books I want to read
• I’m going to meet a lot of interesting and wonderful, radiant people
• I’m going to work from a lot of different places
• I will be experiencing parts of the world that I have never set foot in before

The illuminating
• I’m attending the Rich Happy and Hot B-school this year (OMG!)
• I’m going to start life coach training with Martha Beck (OMG!)

The international
• I just visited Amsterdam and London. I’m writing this from Sydney.
• I’m going to visit Melbourne
• I’m going to Portland and San Francisco
• I will be living 6 weeks in New York City (Hello major Freedom Experiment and dream come true!)

And do you know the best part? I finally have a lot of free time to write! Yay!

I found a café in Amsterdam with great coffée and a resident cat

The section where I’m totally honest about my plans for The Freedom Experiment

I’m on my way to make my own dreams come true. And you’re in luck, because my dream is your dream (and the other way around)! My dream is to take The Freedom Experiment further – make it location-independent (check!) even more inspiring (in progress) and profitable* (sloooowly working on this).

*Just a little note on the last one: My mission is to continue to deliver awesome free content. But I have so much more to give! It feels right for me to take the Freedom Experiment one step further and I’m working on a very exciting project that I think you will love! If this sounds exciting to you – yay! If not, please don’t worry. I will not force you to pay for anything and I’m way too shy to be pushing products on you that you don’t want. However, I feel that I have a lot to offer, and I’m confident that there is a way to make this happen that will benefit the both of us. I’ll help you make your dreams come true – and by letting me help you – you help me.

The Sydney opera house – I managed to get a good picture in between all the rain

Meet the blogger

I would love to meet you while I’m on the road! If you want to meet up – here are my dates:

June 6th – June 12th SYDNEY

June 13th – June 16th MELBOURNE

June 17th – July 4th SYDNEY

July 4th – July 10th PORTLAND, OR

July 11th-July 16th SAN FRANCISCO

July 17th – August 26th NEW YORK CITY

Will you be around? I’d love to meet you for a coffee and have a chat about life, dreams and everything in between! Leave a comment and I’ll get back to you!

What dreams are you making come true right now?

Jana June 6, 2012 at 9:53 am

Just one word: WOHOOOOOOOOO! xoxo

Marthe June 8, 2012 at 3:31 am

Whiiiiiii!

Brittni June 6, 2012 at 10:35 am

Wow! It sounds like you are turning a new page at the moment and I am sending big hugs your way on this amazing journey. I can only imagine how exciting it must be to travel to so many places this year! Good luck with everything. :)

Marthe June 8, 2012 at 3:31 am

I am! Thank you so much for the hugs, I’m sending some right back to you!

Luana June 6, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Oh Marthe! This all sounds super super exciting, so many places and people to see!
For now I’m making my dream of studying make up art come true, it’s hard work but I’m loving it. Maybe one day I’ll get to live in NY for a while, one of my dreams too!
I wish you the best in everything that lies ahead for you. Kisses from Spain!

Marthe June 8, 2012 at 3:32 am

It’s really exciting, yes! :D

Make up art sounds awesome, are you having a lot of fun?

I’ll see you in NYC! ;)

Katherine June 6, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Wow, this is amazing! Congratulations on all the exciting things happening! I’m based in Sydney!! I hope that it stops raining for you soon ;)

Phyllis June 6, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Beautiful and honest. Thank you! Your travel plans are just the tiniest bit envy-inducing. :-)

Marthe June 8, 2012 at 3:33 am

Thank you! Aren’t they? The best part – you can do it too! Everything is possible!

Lígia Tolentino June 6, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Your joy and enthusiasm in these words are just as inspiring as the beautiful texts you give us here at TFE. keep going!

Marthe June 8, 2012 at 3:33 am

Thank you darling! <3

Melissa June 6, 2012 at 4:28 pm

It’s so wonderful to hear about what’s going on for you – your enthusiasm and joy, excitement and wonder are contagious. I woke up feeling the same way today. :)

I hope you enjoy your travels – there’s a lot of beauty that I’m sure you’ll see (take me with you?) and I wish I was somewhere that we could hook up and have a nice coffee – maybe next time, hm? <3

Marthe June 8, 2012 at 3:34 am

Good to hear you’re feeling good too! :)

I’ll try to post some pictures so I can take you all with me! :)

Where do you live? I might be coming by your place next time, who knows? :)

april June 6, 2012 at 6:45 pm

i LOVE this article, marthe!
(thank you.)

Marthe June 8, 2012 at 3:35 am

Thank you so much!

Rebecca June 6, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Yey! I adore your openness, and I love that your life is just blowing up right now. In a very good way :)

Marthe June 8, 2012 at 3:36 am

Thank you! My openness has really opened a lot of doors! (pun intended!)

Courtney June 6, 2012 at 11:16 pm

This is a very uplifting post! I’m very excited for your journeys and so pleased you’re feeling better again. And I’m sure no one will resent you for making a living off your wonderful blog :)

Marthe June 8, 2012 at 3:37 am

Caroline June 7, 2012 at 3:26 am

Welcome to my home town, sorry about the wild weather. Today is a good day to get out and enjoy Sydney, cool, clear and crisp. I’m sure there’s fun to be had today in the sunshine. Well done on the “hard, healing and hectic”, amazing!

Marthe June 8, 2012 at 3:39 am

Thank you! I did go out and enjoyed a coffee in the sun in Coogee! :)

Dinah June 8, 2012 at 11:55 am

Wow! I love your post!

I dream to travel and write too! But I’m still not too sure how to come about it.. Hmm..

But anyway, it’s really wonderful to read about your travel plans and upcoming events! It’s also great to read about the hardship and stress you’ve been through. Thanks for being so honest!

Oh boy, how I wish that I’m staying in Sydney or Melbourne so that I’d get a chance to meet you..

Thanks Marthe, you’re an inspiration!

Jess June 10, 2012 at 12:16 pm

I’m a sydney sider! Email me if you’d like any tips on places to go/want to catch up!

Jess x

Te June 11, 2012 at 12:11 am

I just read your post on your second last day. I live in Sydney & work at Central RWS. I would definitely have loved to meet you. I hope you got to see the sculptures at Vivid Sydney in Circular Quay. Tonight is the last night, itll be raining but maybe that wil keep the crowds down! I went Saturday night and took photos. Check them out if you cant make it http://www.flickr.com/photos/too1dafool/sets/72157630090535836/

Bettina June 11, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Hey Marthe,

Great to hear about your amazing plans! I, too, will be in SF and Portland for the WDS, but I’ll be in SF first.

I’d love to meet up before WDS on Friday before things get crazy.

Let me know by email!
Bettina

Krissy June 15, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Marthe, this is so incredible and so inspiring and I’m so so happy for you and so glad that you’re dreams are coming true. Hopefully I can make money + my schedule work and I can come visit you in NYC. :)

Marthe June 20, 2012 at 4:00 am

YES! Please do! If you don’t mind sleeping on the sofa and in the same room as we do, you can stay for free with us in East Willage! :)