10 Remedies for a Rainy Day

10/06/12

8f4db8a51cd29ad340b078bfd1cc19a5

It’s raining in Sydney. If you’re living in the southern hemisphere, I know firsthand that you have a rainy winter to look forward to. If you live on the northern hemisphere anywhere near where I’m from – you probably have a rainy summer ahead of you. Inspired by the weather I thought I’d write about how to make the most of a rainy day.

When it’s raining, do you ever feel like it’s never going to stop? But while the sun is out, it feels like you really have to take advantage of it because the sun might go away any moment? I feel the same way about “rainy” emotions. When I’m sad it feels like I’m going to stay sad forever. And that everything is wrong and it’s raining all over. Much like this song:

A rainy night in Georgia, a rainy night in Georgia
It seems like it’s rainin’ all over the world
I feel like it’s rainin’ all over the world

- Rainy Night in Georgia by Tony Joe White

However, like nature needs the rain to grow, you might need a little rain to relax, slow down and re-charge. You need rainy days to grow, to flourish and to thrive too! On the other hand, rainy days do tend to come when we least want them to – especially when we have planned something outdoors, when we are on vacation or when you could really use the warmth and comfort of the sun. Rainy or not, we can’t really do anything about the weather, but we can make the most of what the universe is sending our way.

Ps. Even if the sun is out and the sky is blue – these tips work great if you’re tired, ill, sad or if you just feel down.

c54660c15f0d95754d6c70d208dcaa1e

1. Curl up under the covers and read a really good book

I’m putting this first, because I can’t really think about a better way to spend a rainy day. Just put on something really comfortable, put on the kettle, get yourself comfortably seated in your bed (use a lot of pillows), curl up under your duvet and read. I recommend reading a good novel, but any book will do! I have even used this approach to get some studying done, but I don’t really recommend it. You might fall asleep!

2. Go to a museum

This is the best way to spend a rainy day if you’re travelling. Even if you’re at home, chances are you have a good museum nearby that you haven’t visited yet. Myself, I enjoy a good contemporary art museum, but most museums will give you a good opportunity to learn something new. Don’t forget to check out smaller galleries too, they often have unique exhibitions with up and coming artists.

3. Bake something

Spend the day baking something pretty and tasty. If you have a whole day, try something a little more complicated than you would normally do – like macarons or a large multicolored layer cake. The obvious bonus here is that you also get to eat your baked goods after you’re done… I recommend inviting your friends for this last part to ensure that you don’t end up eating everything yourself!

4. Wear multiple layers

Particularly if you’re prone to getting colds, wearing multiple layers will make a rainy day more comfortable. If you venture outside and get wet, you can just remove a layer or two when you get back inside. Chances are that it will be colder outside than inside too and wearing layers will make it easier to adjust to frequent temperature changes.

5. Invest in a really good umbrella

Sometimes I wonder why I spend so much money on good quality sunglasses. While it’s important to protect your eyes from the sun, the reality is that almost any sunglasses will do. When it comes to umbrellas on the other hand… Cheap umbrellas can really make a rainy day suck even more. Who hasn’t had a tiny, convenience store umbrella that almost broke just by breathing on it? Something that would break even by a slight breeze? I truly recommend investing in a large and solid umbrella. If you pay more for it, you are also more likely to take better care of it (and not forget it everywhere). Plus it’s better for the environment to invest in quality too! Win, win and you’ll have a more pleasant stroll in the rain.

6. Play board games

Board games are great to play with friends when it’s pouring outside. This works no matter the season, but I find that long summer afternoon and cold autumn evenings are particularly good for a board game night. Invite some people over and play your favourite game. My personal favourites are Scrabble, Trivial Pursuit and the Settlers of Catan. Pair your game night with a bottle of wine, a cake (see #3) or just some easy snacks.  Then do everything you can to win!

7. Drink large amounts of tea and coffee

I bet you already do this anyway, but I just had to include this on the list. Have you noticed that I hardly write a list post without including the word “tea” at least twice? Well here we go again: Nothing can beat a good black filter coffee in the morning, but as the day proceeds tea is the way to go! My favourite types of tea are Roiboos fruit, lavender earl grey (they have it at Starbucks) and white jasmine. I also have to add that Australians seem to make really great chai latte’s. I’m hooked!

8. Go to your local café and stay there the whole day

If you have work to do, I recommend taking it to your local café. Cafés with wifi are also great for blogging, essay research and travel planning to name a few. Go early to ensure that you get a great table, and stay for the whole day. Make sure you order a few times to keep you’re favourite café in business. Personally, I find the hustle an bustle of a busy café really inspiring. If you get distacted, plug in your earphones and listen to some good music instead. Happy working!

9. Spend the day outside followed by drinking hot cocoa

I’m willing to bet that there is no better feeling in the world than the way you feel after spending the whole day outside in the rain, followed by a hot shower and then a nice hot cup of cocoa. Good activities are taking a walk in the woods (forests smell even better when it’s raining), working out in the park or just playing sports with your friends. The best hot cocoa is the one you make from scratch, but any instant version will do. Isn’t this the best feeling?

10. Craft something

Last, but not least, rainy days are great for completing (or starting!) a craft project. I’m a huge fan of knitting, but I’m sure you have your own favourite craft activity. Pair this with some good music and a cup of tea (see?) and you’re good to go!

Hope you have a great day, no matter if it’s really raining outside or if you’re just having a rainy day of the soul.

What is your favourite tip for a rainy day?

Amanda @ Hungry Vegan Traveler June 10, 2012 at 1:07 pm

These are fabulous suggestions. It’s been raining every single day (and sometimes ALL day) here in Tampa Bay for almost a week straight now. I’ve gotten a lot of writing, reading, and movie-watching done. :)

Marthe June 11, 2012 at 2:43 am

Thank you! Aw, sorry to hear about your rainy week. But all of those activities sound really nice, I hope you enjoy the rain as much as you can!

Sue Ann Gleason June 10, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I think these are lovely suggestions for ANY day! I’m going to post them on my wall for days I find myself spending too many hours at my computer. Thank you for a beautiful post. Looking forward to reading more. . .

Marthe June 11, 2012 at 2:44 am

That’s right! Printing this post is the best compliment ever, thank you! Hope you enjoy reading more of my posts!

Rebecca June 10, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Great tips Marthe! It’s so easy to see a rainy day as a nuisance that ruins all of our plans, but it can actually be a great chance to unwind.

I personally love to get outside when it’s raining. Wet weather is my favourite kind of weather for running! It’s so refreshing and exhilerating.

Also, I love the idea of spending a whole day working in a cafe. This is something I’ve never done, but I love the thought of it. I’m sure I couldn’t fail to be inspired by the hustle and bustle either.

Marthe June 11, 2012 at 2:45 am

Thank you! I like to be outside too, especially in warm summer rain! <3

Okay, you and me – we need to meet up and have a working day at Starbucks or something. It’s so much nicer than sitting at home!

Cathy Sykora June 10, 2012 at 5:30 pm

I want you to plan my day! I am going to put my sweatshirt on…pour myself a hot tea and talk my granddaughter into a game of scrabble! Thanks!

Marthe June 11, 2012 at 2:45 am

Shoot me an e-mail and I’ll send you a complete day all planned and ready! ;)

Esther June 10, 2012 at 5:52 pm

I adore this! Now I’m completely nostalgic for the good ol’ coffee shop hunker-down days! The key trick that you illuminate so delightfully is to make a choice about how you respond to your environment, by either changing it, your own internal environment, or your attitude towards it so that you can bring yourself towards a place of balance! many thanks!

Marthe June 11, 2012 at 2:46 am

Thank you! You’re right, thank you for pointing this out. You always have a choice when it comes to how to respond to life’s challenges.

Kika June 10, 2012 at 7:26 pm

We’ve had tons of rain. This weekend was so peaceful. We played Scrabble together and I finished one book and read another front to back :)

Marthe June 11, 2012 at 2:47 am

Sounds like a great weekend! Which books did you read?

Morgan June 10, 2012 at 7:46 pm

this is perfect. i love these tips!

Marthe June 11, 2012 at 2:47 am

Thank you!

Stephanie June 10, 2012 at 10:32 pm

This post put a big smile on my face! After a year of constant warm and lovely weather, I have chosen to base myself in probably the rainiest country of Europe, and much to my flatmates confusion, I enjoy the rainy Irish ‘summer’. Finally, I get to go to the museums, cinema and read without feeling bad because it’s sunny outside ;)

Marthe June 11, 2012 at 2:48 am

Mission completed! I love making people smile!

Sounds like you’re making the most of a lot of rainy days <3

Courtney June 11, 2012 at 1:21 am

This is a great list Marthe! I live in New Zealand and it’s starting to get wintry here now so I very much look forward to days curled up in bed with soup, hot chocolate and excellent reading material. Hope you’re enjoying Aussie!

Marthe June 11, 2012 at 2:48 am

Thank you! I do enjoy Sydney very much even though this city doesn’t seem to cope all that well with the rain.. I have been spending a lot of time indoors at a few very lovely cafés! :)

Denise June 11, 2012 at 3:38 am

We’re having a rainy day here too and I’ve spent the better part of it doing number 1. ; )

When I lived in Tennessee and there was a rainy day, outdoor activities would be canceled. It was always a nice break, especially when the kids were small, from our busy schedule. When we moved to California, there were no rainy days and after awhile we tired of never having a break. So once every two or three months, I would declare it a rainy day, we would cancel all commitments, and the kids and I would curl up with books and popcorn and just stay at home all day. Heaven.

Tabitha June 11, 2012 at 4:33 am

This is great! I like snuggling with my lover on a thick blanket and just talking :) or we make soup and watch movies together in bed. The rain can be beautiful too! :)

Candice June 11, 2012 at 4:10 pm

I freaking love this post!! I adore the rain and we don’t get too much of it where I live (Perth is not known for the rain). I had a huge ‘LOL’ moment with your mention of the tiny umbrella that just breathing on it will break it. So funny and so true. Have had many of those moments so I recently invested in a ridiculously oversize brolly that can literally fit 4 people under it. It’s the only one in town not flipping inside out so I don’t mind sheltering everyone on their way to work. :P

Brittni June 11, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Great read! I live in Seattle (where it rains nearly everyday) and am planning on going back to Florida for a month or two at the end of this month and it has been raining daily there lately too. Ha! Love these tips – I am partial to #6 because I love board games. So any excuse to play ‘em works for me. :) I always play upbeat music when it is rainy and dreary here. That usually helps lighten up my mood and get through the less-than-perfect weather days.

Jenn June 11, 2012 at 11:58 pm

I personally hate the rain and would be perfectly satisfied with spending the whole day reading and drinking tea. But last spring one of my friends and I got really sick of all the rainy days we were having so we drove to the store and each bought a pair of cheap rain boots. We declared the rest of the day “Puddle Jumping day” and acted like we were 5, trying to jump in the biggest puddle and make the biggest splash.

Kimberley - Dream. Delight. Inspire. June 12, 2012 at 12:20 am

Love these suggestions and I certainly partake in a lot of numbers 1, 7 and 8. I’m all about cozying up in that weather. Beautiful post as always Miss Marthe! x

Svenja June 12, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Hi Marthe, that is a perfect list.

I also like to watch the raindrops making funny roads on the window and listening to the calming sound of it on the roof. Watching a very romantic / favorite DVD is another option I would add.

Jumping into puddles.

Singing in the rain!

Waiting for the rainbow!

Happy regards,
Svenja

Marthe June 20, 2012 at 4:01 am

GREAT suggestions! Thank you so much, I’ll remember these the next time it’s pouring!

Clare June 15, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Wonderful suggestions! It’s bucketing down here in Dublin, so very timely ones too!

Marie June 19, 2012 at 8:39 pm

I love love this post and everything that your website stands for. It’s a stroke of brilliance, really. Great suggestions, and a satisfying read without being heavy.

I’d really appreciate if you would take a poke around my own blog, which is a space I’ve cultivated to inspire positivity in people. It contains beautiful photos, inspirational quotes, and my own full-length text posts once a week.

Best wishes!

Marthe June 20, 2012 at 3:51 am

Thank you so much!

I’ll check out your blog, thank you for sharing! :)

Lindsey October 22, 2012 at 5:55 am

Go for a run in the rain! I am so happy I found this blog! Oh my goodness this is exactly what I needed :)

Marthe October 22, 2012 at 11:56 am

Thank you so much Lindsey! Run, baby, run!