17 tips on how to invite passion and inspiration back into your life

09/05/13

bab4eb17a6fc0f176b2b65596fbb4f52

You have a dream.

Or rather, you had a dream.

In fact, you had lots of them.

But then life happened. Bad things happened.
And worry crept into your life, sucking the wonderful energy out of you like a leech.

And now you feel flat.

Bored. Grey. Uninspired. Heavy.

And you don’t know how to get back the spark.
How to ignite.
How to get back ON.

You want fireworks and magic. You want long summer nights and belly laughs.
You want wonder and passion.

Heck, you don’t even ask for amazing, right now all you want is to feel a little bit better.

Anything is better than this limbo.

Right?

But baby, you don’t have to settle for less. The is hope – bucket loads of it.

Here are 17 tips to get back the spark in your life and feel alive again!

17 tips on how to invite passion and inspiration back into your life

Write a love list

Sit down with pen and paper and make a list of everything that you love. Include all the things, people and concepts you are attracted to, passionate about and interested in. Don’t limit yourself.

Take opposite action

Very often, what we most feel like doing is not what would help us the most. So if you’re having low energy – you often feel like hanging out at home, while getting out and doing something actually would be more helpful. The same thing goes for feeling uninspired – we often don’t feel like doing anything. So whatever it is you want to be doing right now – try experimenting with doing the opposite. Sometimes doing something you’ve never done before will excite and ignite you like nothing else.

Loosen up

Being uninspired and feeling detached often has a physical component, as we very often end up stationary or doing physically slow things. A good way to guide yourself to a better mental state is to do something physical, like dance, running, or hiking – or yoga. Anything that will move and stretch your body will help you thinking become more flexible too.

Do something fun and unusual

I know you’re not feeling it right now, but there’s nothing like doing something spontaneous when you’re uninspired. Try something you have never tried before, like a trapeze class, a photo safari or go to a lecture on a topic you know little about yet.

Pump up your creativity

Even though you might not feel particularly creative, doing something that requires you to stop thinking and start doing is usually a great way of getting inspired. If you need ideas – try fingerprinting, writing or crafting something with your hands. Pinterest is great for DIY ideas!

Talk about your dreams

Tell a friend about something you would like to do one day. Try to describe it in as much detail as possible. If you don’t have a friend you can talk to about this, try writing it all out. See if you can reconnect with a dream by thinking differently, or connect with a new dream entirely.

Smile and laugh more

Smiling and lauging – even faking it – will make you feel happier. I’m not encouraging false laughs here, but if you are feeling low and uninspired, try watching a comedy or just smiling to strangers. This totally works! You might feel goofy, but if that can make you laugh of yourself – even better!

Focus on what you are feeling, not what you aren’t

As the Buddha said; “Suffering is arguing with reality”. When you are feeling flat, uninspired and tired – but feel like you should be feeling passionate and excited about something – you feel even worse than if you just focus on what you actually are feeling.

Do what interests you the most

You might feel like nothing excites you. Like you don’t have anything. But I’m sure there is something in this wide world of possibilities that is more interesting than other things. You don’t have to be wildly in love – just moderately curious. Start there.

Read Feeling Good when Life is Hard

A little shameless self-promotion is allowed from time to time, right? No, seriously – I have written a whole e-book about how to feel good in times of stress, overwhelm and change. I have a full chapter on identifying and following dreams in there. It’s good!

Let nature hold you

Sometimes all we need to get back on track is to allow ourselves to be off track for a bit. Take a walk in nature, walk barefoot on the beach, lie down in the grass and feel the earth support you. Relax, then move on.

Pay attention to your black and white thinking

When we are not in our element, it is very easy to slip into absolute thinking. As in “I am never inspired. Or I am not interested in anything. Or I always feel stuck”. Watch out for words like never, always, nothing, everything, everybody, nobody, everywhere, anywhere etc. Try to see if there is a good middle way in there. A good way of checking your thinking is to ask yourself “is this true?” whenever you catch yourself thinking in absolute terms.

Don’t be avoidant, isolate yourself or over-think

One of the best pieces of advice someone gave me when I was searching for my purpose and passion was to don’t avoid doing things that need to be done (like paperwork and housework), don’t isolate yourself by staying in too much, and don’t think too much about what to do, why it’s not working, where to go and so on. In other words; do the work, get out there and spend more time acting than thinking!

Be limitless

So much of our stuck-ness originate from these short words; can’t, won’t and shouldn’t. So when you are searching for your spark – don’t limit yourself. Do it anyways!

Hire a life coach

Life coaches – like me – are experts at helping people find more passion, excitement and energy in their lives. Why fumble around in the dark when you can have someone guide your way?

Accept

It is what it is. And right now you are not in the zone. And that is alright! Just accepting that can make all the difference in the world. It’s like deciding to stop looking for a boyfriend and then suddenly there he is!

Check yourself for depression

I feel that it is important to address this topic too. Loss of interest, flatness in emotions and loss of energy can be symptoms of depression. It’s better to be safe than sorry – the sooner you get treatment the easier it will be. So if you think this might be you, don’t hesitate to get help.

What advice would you give to people who feel like they have lost their spark?

Emma May 9, 2013 at 9:15 am

Thankyou Thankyou and ThankYOU!

Marthe May 9, 2013 at 9:36 am

You are so welcome, Emma! :)

Lula May May 9, 2013 at 11:26 am

These are awesome suggestions. Something else that I love to do when I get in a rut is to try to let my “inner child” out. I have wonderful memories of the fun games and things I used to do as a little girl. When I am in a rut, I go outside and roll down a hill, or I dig in the dirt with my daughter to find bugs and worms, we go and catch lightning bugs or crickets (all are wonderful memories that I have from when I was little). Not only do I feel renewed and ready to go, I also am happy that one day my daughter will look back and have those same cool memories that who knows, might help her when life gets too overwhelming.

Marthe May 11, 2013 at 11:25 am

I love this, Lula!

Catherine May 9, 2013 at 1:47 pm

So often I forget these little wonderful things.

Marthe May 11, 2013 at 11:37 am

Thank YOU!

Tiffany May 9, 2013 at 7:01 pm

this is great! i just have to motivate myself to try one of these tips. i always feel like i lack inspiration, but i also feel like it’s because i lack motivation sometimes to do anything. thank you for these!

Marthe May 11, 2013 at 11:38 am

You can do it, Tiffany!

Kate May 11, 2013 at 6:33 am

Ohhh, thank you so much, perfect timing… I was laying slumped on the couch facing a huge day of moving into a brand new house with a brand new puppy–but instead of feeling excited, I was stuck in a black lump of overwhelm. My fiancé is working today so won’t be able to help with the logistics, and it is raining… And this is all on top of my feeling a long string of uninspired days at work and creatively at home. After reading this article and ruminating for a bit, I figure its a perfect day to move the plants because they won’t mind the rain and are small enough for me to handle with no trouble. And even if moving is incredibly daunting right now, when it is over and we have recuperated, I will have spots to meditate and make art all to myself, for the first time ever. It’s easy to get lost in the challenge and pain of growth as it is happening, but it is as you say–things will get better :) one more sip of my coffee, and… ACTION!

Marthe May 11, 2013 at 11:23 am

Yay!

Go Kate!

Sophie | Spark Your Self May 13, 2013 at 1:19 am

This is a great list… thank you! I especially love ‘pump up your creativity’ suggestion – as ‘grownups’ we seem to lose that sense of play and doing things just for fun, it’s sometimes so lovely to do something without purpose and just because it feels good. Bookmarking this to come back to when I am feeling a bit blah! x

Marthe May 15, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Thank you Sophie!

You are right, doing something just for fun is so important for our wellbeing!

Xoxo

Marthe

Anil May 10, 2014 at 7:39 pm

I liked this.

Lilly N May 16, 2013 at 11:53 pm

This is a great post full of important musings. I love the idea of making a love list – such a great idea! I have found that the best way to find inspiration in life is through the core values for inspired living: opportunity, prosperity, respect, attitude, and happiness.

Become Life Inspired December 30, 2013 at 2:57 am

Interesting article! I think that we all run through a dry spell at times and need encouragement. Definitely being outside in nature and taking time to really slow down is necessary. So often we get caught up in money and becoming someone that society expects of us. It can be easy to forget about the fun, unique person that we really are.

Tyler January 8, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Thank you for posting this. I really hope it helps.. I am in a scenario where my schedule is really full (college) and I always have trouble keeping my life in order and my head above water…

Sandra February 3, 2014 at 4:59 pm

I’ve been feeling down for a while now. although my schedule isn’t as busy s my classmates who have sports, i tend to procrastinate on my homework and since I’m in all ap classes this yeas, it piles up pretty quickly. Even if i do sit down, i manage to get nothing accomplished. Thank you for posting this.

Jess February 7, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Marthe

I have just found your beautiful blog and I feel happy already, just from being here for a few minutes! I love what you do and I feel very inspired by your article. What super, tangible things to do to inspire yourself. I shall try a few ;-)

With love to you
Jess

Angel February 25, 2014 at 7:31 am

I’m 21 and I live in this small town in Texas and the only jobs here are minimum wage jobs. I’m working at a part-time sports place that gives me barely any money at all. I thought i’d be going to college and out of this place but it’s been 3 years out of high school and i’m still here living with my parents. I have no car and no friends and i feel like i’m a burden to my parents. I’m isolated because I have no car and no one to hang with. I sleep most of my days and read but i still can’t help the negative thoughts. I’m sad because i feel unaccomplished. I’ve been single for a year now after a really bad relationship where I was mentally abused. I fell in love with this guy I met years ago and we always kept in touch on the internet everyday for 4 years because he was sent away to Afghanistan to serve. My ex found my emails to him and got angry I fear he told him things about me because after that he never emailed me again. I recently thought of him and tried after a year to email him again and nothing. I’m afraid to even think something might’ve happened to him and that has been clouding my thoughts lately. Then I find out that this job I’m working at now is closing down. I want to find my calling because i have no idea what i want to do with my life. I feel like i’m made for so much more than this. I used to love painting and writing stories but now I just lay in my bed. I wish to be swept off my feet lol and i keep hoping and wishing but nothing. I’d like maybe a friend i can go have coffee with or a new job that pays okay. I’d also like to feel beautiful because lately i’ve been lacking confidence. I’m only saying all of this because this has sparked something in me. This was what I needed. Thank you for taking the time to share your light.

Mel May 5, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Angel, you are still so very young. There is a world of opportunity for you…maybe in Texas, maybe not. Since you had thought you would be in college, I just want to suggest that there is no time like the present. Is there a community college near you? Can you enroll in at least one class somewhere? Doing that would introduce you to new people, many of whom are also interested in finding something better for their lives. Likely there would be someone there who would be so glad to go for coffee with you. Also, I think you will like yourself better, find yourself to be more beautiful, if you will let go of these past relationships and focus on doing something that is truly for YOU. The right person very often comes along in unexpected places.

Rex Gladding April 16, 2014 at 11:49 am

Dear Marthe, I read a lot of your introductions to your site and even read some of your book (98 page) but I came away with the distinct impression that it was for women only, that’s how it reads. I can see it can apply to men too. But it appears to be directed to women only which is a bit depressing. It might surprise you that all that is said applies to men if they would only acknowledge it. But your book is only, dissapointedley, addressed to women and ONLY women. This is sad as men are plagued with the same insecurities. Could you please, maybe, make a statement that men are included as well. I have a lot of love to give, but it can be directed only to my beloved Border Collie Cross, with lots of cuddles and kisses, not very masculine I know but I have no choice. I can be very loving and gentle with women but it seems they don’t want that. they prefer “bad boys”, well good luck to them, be it on their own head.

happy June 4, 2014 at 10:04 am

Thanku.. I loved it.. felt good..
I am diagnosed with major depression, still ur tips are really helpful to bring back the spark and motivation..

Laila June 16, 2014 at 12:53 am

Thank you for posting this web-site. It makes me feel better and I know a lot of people can get help with this.

Jay August 25, 2014 at 11:10 am

A life coach? Is that like a therapist without the degree? You sound like Brad Goodman “There’s no trick to it, it’s just a simple trick.” This article is absolute hogwash.

Marthe August 26, 2014 at 6:27 pm

No, life coaching and therapy are two distictly separate professions. Kind of like a personal trainer vs. a medical doctor. You are of course entitled to have your own opinion on my writing, thank you for sharing it with us all. :)

Tracy September 3, 2014 at 10:11 pm

Excellent advice and I really enjoyed reading the tips, thank you.

Vinnie Sisser November 21, 2014 at 6:44 pm

I’ve been a drummer for over 45 years. I used to smile all the time. Laugh and make folks laugh all the time. Crazy thing is can fake it real good most times. My folks both passed by 2004. Mom 1997 and Dad 2004. I have so many things to be grateful for yet my mind always takes me elsewhere. Since losing my father, most all of the things mentioned earlier have been replaced by can’t, won’t, shouldn’t and all the other negative thoughts that overcome a person. I look at my drum kit, but don’t play it. I laugh in public, but sit in solitude behind closed doors. My wife is awesome!!! She loves me unconditionally and tries to balance me. I need to get my show back on the right road again but I run into mental cement walls each day. This all effects not only me, but my wife as well. Tough thing is there’s nothing she can do to help and it frustrates her that the guy loves is broken. I don’t know how to fix me. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this if you have.

Devanshu November 23, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Amazing tips….simple but effective….i have tried them and they have helped me ….Thanx a lot for the advice…