minifirehazard December 4, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Until now I never really thought about self care. Well I say that, but I’ve always kind of dismissed it. I take care of myself in the general sense, making myself presentable to and ready for the world. Caring for myself never really seemed as important to me as making sure everyone else is catered for though and I know my health and well being has suffered because of it. I guess the inner peace I get from caring for and nurturing others makes me feel a whole lot better than if I spent that time doing something for myself. Having read this though I think to myself, that I can’t say I treat myself the way I treat others. I always make sure that everyone around me is okay before I even consider asking myself am I looked after., which is not very often. Reading this I have a lot food for thought.

Marthe December 5, 2014 at 9:50 am

I’m glad it gave you something to think about! I like to look at it this way; if we take care of ourselves and nourish our own bodies and minds, we can have more to give to others as well. It’s kind of like making sure your own well gets continually filled up before you let others drink. <3

grace December 5, 2014 at 12:44 am

I love all of your suggestions. One of my favourite treats to myself is fresh flowers. Nothing lifts my spirit during the cold months like beautiful flowers, such as hydrangeas. They are inexpensive and are so lovely.

Marthe December 5, 2014 at 9:49 am

Great tip, Grace! I love fresh flowers too, it really lights up a room an brings joy and nature in to our lives! :) Thank you for sharing!

Kaytee Faye December 5, 2014 at 1:07 pm

You have the best blog!!!! Seriously love it!! Self Care could also be a nice walk to clear your head, getting out in nature, and enjoying the sun! It’s essential for a healthy sleep pattern to enjoy a good bit of sunlight; especially early in the morning! Also vitamins and supplements; I love going to a health food store and looking around at all if the extra nutrients I can add to my meals! Supplementing my diet so I feel rejuvenated, fresh, and energized! Thank you again for your sound wisdom!
Love and blessings,
KayteeFaye

Rachel December 6, 2014 at 2:29 am

Hey thanks for that, it did get me thinking about self care. And it is nourishment is it not? What is it we like to do both personally and professionally. And not so much having it all, but having faith with your own ability.

On a self talk level, while everyone looks for graditude around them, I am continually grateful to be blessed with my brain that I have and while that has taken years to fully appreciate, I would never be standing where I am without personal development. And that was through talking to others, experience, reading and self reflection.

On a physical level, well that is for the new year, but self care is about how you look and feel about that look. And at the moment I feel flabby. So my self care is to exercise. And to look good I intend to revamp my wardrobe.

My saying is this, when all goes wrong, you can be living in a mansion but on that day where you are blinded by rage or sadness, that mansion means nothing, so it is the internal workings that I must do my housework in and succeed in. But if I have the mansion and the mental stability that I work at all the time, then I am rich.

For me self care is about enrichment. The ability to know if you want it, it will be in arms reach, you just got to want it, work it and never give up on it. And with all that upon self reflection you will truely know what is important.

Well that is how I see self care, reflection, action, thought and then repeat.

Sophie December 7, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Now this is a self care list! Oh so beautiful, you put into words what I’ve tried to describe so many times x

Yogita December 31, 2014 at 11:44 am

Great writing piece just shared on my Twitter. Self care is something we missed in busy hectic days.

Twinkle February 9, 2017 at 5:03 am

In this hussle bustle of life, we totally forget what we truly are. Once you feel the need of getting to know yourself things have already been lost. So better wake up today. :) Nice piece of work